AWRT SoCal Announces 2008-2009 Board of Directors
Meet the New Board at the Industry Party at Universal’s Saddle Ranch Chophouse
Wednesday, Sept 24th 2008, 6:30 PM.
Brubank, CA – September 3, 2008 -AMERICAN WOMEN IN RADIO AND TELEVISION – SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CHAPTER – ANNOUNCES NEW 2008-2009 OFFICERS AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS.
Meet The New Board and SPECIAL GUESTS at the 2008 Industry Party at Universal’s Saddle Ranch Chophouse- Wednesday, Sept 24th 2008, 6:30 PM.
The Southern California Chapter of American Women in Radio and Television (AWRT SoCal) today announced its officers and board of directors for 2008-2009. Laura Behrman from Radio Disney AM 1110 has been appointed President, taking over from Missy Haffley of KFI-AM/KTLK-AM. Haffley will remain on the board of directors as Immediate Past President.
“2009 brings both challenges and opportunity in our industry. Our mission at AWRT Socal is to provide a forum for member networking as well as the exploration of new frontiers as the media industry diversifies and expands. I am so excited to kick off this year,” stated Behrman. “It’s an honor to be part of an organization that provides an annual line-up of special events and educational opportunities to help further women in media and entertainment.” Behrman previously served four years on the board and has chaired several committees and overseen several successful AWRT SoCal projects. She is currently the Director of Promotions at Radio Disney AM 1110.
Other executive board officers elected for a one-year term include:
• First Vice President, Programming – Debra Hurd, Manager of Engineering and Facilities Operations, KCBS 2 & KCAL 9
• Second Vice President of Membership – Cindy Yantis, Vice President, Group Sales Manager, Blair Television
• Corresponding Secretary – Stephanie Van Ostrander, Senior Event Manager, Renaissance Hotels & Resorts
• Treasurer – Poopak Mozaffari, Director of Administration, KIRN- AM
Additionally, seven directors elected to serve a two-year term on the ARWT board include:
• By-Laws/Parliamentarian Director – Mary Schaeffer, Professor, Cinema & Television Arts (CTVA) Department, Cal State University, Northridge
• Mentorship Director – Julie Kertes, Director of Promotions, 100.3 The Sound KSWD
• Website Director – Barbara Bickham, President, TechGenii
• Career Advancement and Diversity Director – Simone Tucker, Secretary to Vice President, Disney ABC Television Group, Network Media
• College Students in Broadcasting (CSB) Director – Mary Schaffer, Assistant Director-Multimedia Cinema and Television Arts, CSUN
• Marketing and Strategic Planning Director – Tony Jollett, Owner, ADI
• Publicity/Public Relations Director – Kim Spence, Associate Marketing Director, Film Independent
The following individuals will serve as Directors at Large:
Returning to the board are Damien Lewis, Marketing Director, KDAY-FM; Cammy Linn,
Executive Assistant, Clear Channel Radio Los Angeles; and Shannon Rosenberg, Senior
Account Manager, Sirius XM Satellite Radio.
Our new board members joining us for their first term as Director at Large include Bonnie
Gallanter, Owner, Muse Artist Management; Anna Lopez, Account Executive, Entravision
Radio; and Elizabeth Saponjian, Operations Coordinator, KCBS/KCAL.
About AWRT SoCal:
The year 2008 marks the 57th Anniversary of American Women in Radio & Television (AWRT), the longest established professional association dedicated to advancing women in media and entertainment. AWRT is a national, non-profit organization that extends membership to qualified professionals in the electronic media and allied fields. Currently there are over 3,000 members nationwide. AWRT carries forth its mission by educating, advocating and acting as a resource to its members and the industry at large. Founded in 1951, AWRT works to improve the quality of electronic media; promote the entry, development and advancement of women in the field; foster communication and idea exchange; and give back to the community we serve. The Southern California Chapter of AWRT offers numerous additional benefits to its members, including networking events, educational programs, community outreach, career counseling and occupational training. The chapter’s annual Genii Awards celebrates the contributions of esteemed colleagues, and helps to fund AWRT SoCal student scholarships.
For more information about the Southern California Chapter of AWRT, please visit www.awrtsocal.org or call (818) 569.3148.
About The Foundation of AWRT:
The Foundation of AWRT is the philanthropic arm of American Women in Radio and Television, supporting educational programs, charitable activities, public service campaigns and scholarships to benefit the public, the electronic media and allied fields. The Foundation of AWRT has created partnerships and joint-initiatives with the National Middle School Association, the Emma Bowen Foundation, the American Red Cross and other organizations that are philosophically aligned with the mission of the Foundation of AWRT.